Process: Black Night



It’s been about 2 months now since I’ve dived into going pure digital with my workflow, and even though I feel like I’m still getting used to drawing on my Cintiq, I think I’m starting to get a workflow down. The most immediate advantage for me at least, is the speed at which you can go from simple thumbnail to clean, useable line work.

For Enchanter I’ve just been jamming on the theme of different style knight characters, so I started out sketching with that in mind. Here I laid out the basic sketch of what I plan to draw. A simple 3/4 view of the knight with his cape draped over one shoulder. Once I had this draw, at a very small size, I simply enlarged it and dropped the opacity down so I could start roughing in the details.

black_knight_1Creating a new layer, you can see here the lines are a lot thinner since I reduced my brush size while drawing over the previous thumbnail, however I wasn’t feeling the proportions so I tweaked that on the fly. Not too tight, but not too loose either.


Now I have the lines tightened up on my third layer so I can see exactly the shapes I want to use. I had already planned on painting this from the start so I didn’t waste time trying to vary my line weight or complete 100% of the details. There are still some unfinished parts like the legs but I have enough of the overall shape to paint.

Finally I add color to the lines and merge the color/line layers before finishing the details, ending up with what you see below. This is about 80% there.black_knight_4Side by side of an earlier version and the current version.



Year of the Game


Knight character concept for Enchanter

It’s been decided, 2014 will be the Year of the Game. At least for me it will be. This year my drawing output(and in some ways creative output) took a substantial hit, as I spent most of my free time studying Japanese in order to improve my over level of communication with my colleagues, as well as attempted(and succeeded!) to pass level N2 of the JLPT as a personal achievement. After passing this summer, I decided to put study on the back-burner and I’ve been doing nothing productive ever since. Well, that’s not entirely true but I feel like I need to get back on track, and produce more art.

knight sketch

Knight sketch

Getting back on track

I love drawing for the sake of drawing, but drawing for the purpose of creating something more is even better, so I decided to team up with a like minded friend @francoispenel (who also blogs) to start producing games. We’re still beginners just getting our feet wet, but with enough practice we hope to make our mark on something.

zombie animation

Zombie for Anagram of the Dead

In the works

So far we have two concepts in the works, a zombie word puzzle game tentatively titled Anagram of the Dead(AOTD), and a medieval themed shop sim officially untitled but for the moment referred to as Enchanter. Neither game has a specific release date yet, but hopefully they’ll be out sometime next year.

Anagram of the Dead

Anagram of the Dead


Francois has been working hard getting things running and thanks to him you can already play a rough version of our game concept. It’s still in the early stages with static graphics, and basic gameplay implemented but, it’s playable now.

Anagram of the Dead alpha prototype


Monkeys and Octopi

I realized I hardly post progress of the games I”ve been making, on my blog, so I’ll try and rectify that. Recently I posted a bit about another game, Nanpa Hero, and if you follow me on twitter, i usually post screen shots of what I’m working on. Right now I’m in the middle of making an iPhone/iPod game called Monkey vs. Octopus.  I know, the title makes no sense at all, but there’s a monkey and an octopus in the game.  Also, it’s easy to remember. Continue reading